Professor Dr. Shalahuddin Qusar Biplob has been widely recognized as a famous Psychiatrist in Bangladesh. He is currently working as a senior professor in the department of psychiatry of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU). He happily has completed his tenor as chairman of the department from 2018 to 2021. He is also the founder and Coordinator of Psychiatric sex clinic (PSC), Department of Psychiatry (BSMMU). Professor Dr. Shalahuddin Qusar Biplob aims is to eliminate the public stigma regarding Mental illness and want to bring the awareness on mental wellbeing.
SSC - Harishangan High School (1986), HSC - Govt. Science College (1988) and MBBS - Sir Salimullah Medical College (1996).Post-graduation - Psychiatry M.Phil. (2003) and MD (2009) from Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU)
Department of psychiatry of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU)
Publication of Professor Dr. M M A Shalahuddin Qusar
Chairman, Psychiatry, BSMMU, Dhaka, BD
Total Number of articles: 44 (Original 39, Review 3, Case Report 2)
1. Qusar MMAS, Morshed NM, Azad MAK, Kader MA, Shams SF, Ahmed MF, Haque MMM, Uddin MA, Shahid SFB. Psychiatric morbidity among suicide attempters who needed ICU intervention. BSMMU J 2009; 2(2): 73-77
2. Qusar MMAS, Morshed NM, Nahar JS, Sobhan MA, Shah MA, Azad MAK, Kader MA, Ali M, Das A. Psychiatric Morbidity and Status of Elderly Population in Our Society. Bangladesh Journal of Medicine 2009; 20(2): 72-75.
3. Qusar MMAS, Morshed NM, Nahar JS, Shah MA, Alom MF, Jahan NA, Sarkar M, Chowdhury NF, Khanom MM, Soron TR, Rahman W, Haque MMM, Sobhan MA. Family support and psychiatric morbidity: A community study among elderly population of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2012; 26(2): 16-23.
4. Qusar MS, Arafat SM, Chowdhury MR, Ahmed S, Morshed NM, Rahman W. Cultural Variations in Symptom Presentations of Depression: A Cross-sectional Observation in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Bangladesh. Mymensingh Med J. 2019 Apr; 28(2):410-417.
5. Rahman MA, Azad MAK, Hossain MI, Qusar MMAS, Bari W, Begum F, Huq SMI, Hasnat A. Zinc, Manganese, Calcium, Copper and Cadmium level in Scalp Hair samples of Schizophrenic patients. Biological Trace Element Research 2009; 127: 102-108
6. Hossain MI, Sadat AFMN, Hossain MK, Qusar MMAS, Islam SN, Islam MS, Hasnat A. Serum immunoglobulin profile in somatization disorder patients. German Journal of psychiatry 2007; 10: 13-17.
7. Shohag MH, Ullah MA, Qusar MMAS, Rahman GKMM, Hasnat A,. Alterations of serum zinc, copper, manganese, iron, calcium and magnesium concentrations and the complexity of inter-element relations in patients with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Biological Trace Element Research 2012; 148: 275- 280 (available in pubmed).
8. Shohag MH, Ullah MA, Azad MA, Islam MS, Qusar MMAS, Shahid SF, Hasnat A. Serum Antioxidant Vitamins and Malondialdehyde Levels in Patients with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. German Journal of Psychiatry 2012; 15 (1): 10-14).
9. Islam MR, Ahmed MU, Mitu SA, Islam MS, Rahman GKMM, Qusar MMAS, Hasnat A. Comparative Analysis of Serum Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Iron, Calcium, and Magnesium Level and Complexity of Interelement Relations in Generalized Anxiety Disorder Patients. Biological Trace Element Research 2013; 154: 21-27. PMID: 23754591 [PubMed]
10. Karim P, Sadat AFMN, Hossain MI, Qusar MMAS, Islam SN, Hasnat A. Immunoglobulin (IgG, IgA and IgM) profiles in schizophrenic patients. Dhaka University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2005; 4(1): 39-44. [For print version ISSN-1816-1820, For online version ISSN 1816-1839]
11. Baker MA, Rahman ML, Qusar MMAS, Huq SMI, Hossain MI, Hasnat A. Clinical Investigation of Serum Trace Elements in Manic Patients. Dhaka University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2005; 4(1):11-14. [For print version ISSN-1816-1820, For online version ISSN 1816-1839]
12. Morshed NM, Nahar JS, Qusar MMAS, Chowdhury HR, Salam MA. Nutritional Anthropometry in Patients with Schizophrenia. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2005; 19(2): 45-50.
13. Nahar JS, Morshed NM, Qusar MMAS, Khanam M, Salam MA. Psychiatric Morbidity Among Rural And Urban Population- A Comparative Study. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2005; 19(2): 19-27.
14. Ali M, Firoz AHM, Qusar MMAS, Ahsan SM, Mohsin AS. Psychiatric disorders among patients attending outpatient departments of different disciplines. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2007; 21 (1): 39-49.
15. Shahid SFB, Mullick MSI., Nahar JS, Nahar J, Khan S, Morshed NM, Shah MA, Qusar MMAS. Relationship between parental rejection and personality. BSMMU Journal 2009; 2 (2): 61-65.
16. Khan K, Morshed NM, Qusar MMAS, Shahid SFB, Shah MA, Miah AS, Chowdhury SH, Roy J. Major Depressive Disorder in Hysterectomy Patients. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2008; 22 (1): 53-58
17. Shah M A, Sobhan M A, Qusar M M A S, Morshed N M, Ahsan M S, Algin S, Chowdhury H R, Ali M, Shahid S F B, Salam M A, Roy J, Das A. Prevalence of Subtypes of Schizophrenia in a Tertiary Hospital in Bangladesh, Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2008; 22(2):41-49
18. Roy J, Morshed NM, Qusar MMAS, Nahar JS, Miah MAS, Shah MA, Shams SF, shahid SFB, Ikbal MM, Khanom MM. Personality Traits of Substance Users in Bangladesh. BSMMU Journal 2010; 3 (2): 76-81.
19. Miah M Z, Mullick MSI, Nahar JS, Algin S, Qusar M M A S, Ali M, Bashar M K, Bhowmik AD, Shahidullah M, Hossain MJ, Ahmed H U. Psychiatric Disorder Among the Mentally Retarded Children: A cross sectional study in a tertiary care hospital, Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2009; 23(2):19-29
20. Shahid SFB, Mullick MSI, Nahar JS, Tushar TA, Akhtar R, Morshed NM, Qusar MMAS. Mental Health Status of the Caregivers of Disable Children. BSMMU Journal 2012; 5 (2): 101-105.
21. Jhunu S Nahar, Monami Haque, Nafia Farzana Chowdhury, MMA Shalahuddin Qusar, Wasiam Rahman, Hafizur Rahman Chowdhury, Monirul Islam, Mohammad Ahraful Siddike Pathan. Psychiatric Mrobidity among rural and slum female population –a comparative study. BSMMU Journal 2013; 6(2): 146-150
22. Mullick MSI, Nahar JS, Chowdhury NF, Rahman W, Islam MM, Qusar MMAS, Rahman MM,Shahidullah M. Psychiatric disorders among the children of 5 to 18 years old of `SIDR’ affected areas. BSMMU Journal 2014; 7 (1): 20-26.
23. Das A, Mullick MSI, Algin S, Qusar MMAS, Shah MA. Presentation of somatic symptoms and associated abnormal psychological situations among children and adolescents. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2012; 26(1): 46-53.
24. Morshed NM, Rahman F, SFB Shahid, Qusar MMAS, Algin S, Maruf MM, Chowdhury MHR. Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders Among Female Juvenile Offenders. Mymnesingh Medical Journal (MMJ) 2016; 25 (4): 669-673
25. Salam MA, Qusar MS, Pathan MA, Ullah MS, Saklain MA. Co-morbid psychiatric disorder among the female patients with sexual dysfunction in a tertiary Hospital of Bangladesh. Shaheed Syed Nazrul Islam Medical College Journal 2017; 2 (2): 104-108. (ISSN: 2520-0879)
26. Salam MA, Qusar MS, Saklain MA, Pathan MS, Islam MM, Ali M. Psychiatric co-morbidity among the male patients with sexual dysfunction in a tertiary Hospital of Bangladesh. Dinajpur Medical College journal 2017; 10 (2); 278-283 [ISSN: 2070-2019]
27. Islam MR, Islam MR, Shalahuddin Qusar MMA, Islam MS, Kabir MH, Mustafizur Rahman GKM, Islam MS, Hasnat A. Alterations of serum macro-minerals and trace elements are associated with major depressive disorder: a case-control study. BMC Psychiatry. 2018 Apr 10;18(1):94. doi: 10.1186/s12888-018-1685-z. PubMed PMID: 29631563; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5891975.[Original Research].
28. Nishuty NL, Khandoker MMH, Karmoker JR, Ferdous S, Shahriar M, Qusar MMAS, Islam MS, Kadir MF, Islam MR. Evaluation of Serum Interleukin-6 and C-reactive Protein Levels in Drug-naïve Major Depressive Disorder Patients. Cureus. 2019 Jan 11;11(1):e3868. doi: 10.7759/cureus.3868. PubMed PMID: 30899619; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6414189.[Original Research].
29. Morshed NM, Rahman F, Qusar MS, Shahid SB, Arafat SM. Psychiatric morbidities among male juvenile offenders: A cross sectional comparison in Bangladesh. Mymensingh Medical Journal Jan2018, vol 27, No1.
30. Salam MA, Qusar MS, Pathan MA, Ullah MS, Saklain MA. Co-morbid psychiatric disorders among the female patients with sexual dysfunction in a tertiary hospital of Bangladesh. Shaheed syed nazrul islam medical college journal july 2017; 2(2).
31. Roy J, Adiluzzaman MAFA, Hasan MT, Roy DD, Qusar MMAS, Shah MMA, Arafat SMY. Socio-demographic profile and psychiatric morbidities of suicide attempters: a cross-sectional observation in a tertiary care hospital of Bangladesh. Bang J Psychiatry 2016;30(2):36-40
32. Anjum S, Qusar MMAS, Shahriar M, Islam SMA, Bhuiyan MA, Islam MR. Altered serum interleukin-7 and interleukin-10 are associated with drug-free major depressive disorder. Ther Adv Psychopharmacol. 2020;10:2045125320916655. doi: 10.1177/2045125320916655. eCollection 2020. PubMed PMID: 32435448; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7225792.[Original Research].
33. Islam MR, Qusar MMAS, Islam MS. Suicide after Facebook posts-An unnoticed departure of life in Bangladesh. Emerging Trends in Drugs, Addictions, and Health. 2021 March; 1(2021):100005. doi: 10.1016/j.etdah.2021.100005.[Original Research]. https://saspublishers.com/media/features_articles/SJMCR_95_490-492_xgB2X0t.pdf
34. Qusar MMAS, Islam M, Islam MM. COVID-19 Test in Bangladesh: Psychological Factors. Scholars Journal of Medical Case Reports. DOI: 10.36347/sjmcr.2021.v09i05.006
35. Emon MPZ, Das R, Nishuty NL, Qusar MMAS, Bhuiyan MA, Islam MR. Reduced serum BDNF levels are associated with the increased risk for developing MDD: a case-control study with or without antidepressant therapy. BMC Res Notes. 2020 Feb 21;13(1):83. doi: 10.1186/s13104-020-04952-3. PubMed PMID: 32085720; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7035767.[Original Research].
36. Islam MR, Qusar MMAS, Islam MS. The first necrophilia incident in a morgue of Bangladesh: Evidence from media reports. Current Research in Behavioral Sciences. 2021 February; 2(2021):100020. doi: 10.1016/j.crbeha.2021.100020.[Original Research].
37. Islam MR, Qusar MMAS, Islam MS. Mental Health of Children Amid COVID-19 Pandemic in Bangladesh: An Exploratory Observation. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2021 Mar 24:10105395211004371. doi: 10.1177/10105395211004371. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33759601.[Research Letter].
38. Qusar MMAS, Islam M, Morshed NM, Arafat SMY. Suicidal Behaviors among Patients Attending for Psychiatric Care in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Bangladesh. Mymensingh Medical Journal (approved for published, 10 August 2021).
39. Qusar MMAS, Hossain R, Nazir S, … , Islam MR Attitude of mental health care professional and media professionals toward each other in reducing social stigma due to mental illness in Bangladesh.
40. Algin S, Shahid S F B, Nahar J S, Shah M A, Faridurzaman K M, Morshed N M, Qusar M M A S, Ahsan M S, Das A. Psychodrama in Bangladesh Perspective,Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2010; 24(2):36-43
41. Ahmed HU, Kamal AHMKM, Qusar MMAS, Uddin AFMH, Sultana MM, Hossain T, Alam MF, Mullick MSI, Nahar JS, Rabbani MG. Caregivers’ burden of the patients with mental illness: An update. Bangladesh Journal of Psychiatry 2012; 26(2): 81-87.
42. Arafat SMY, Chowdhury HR, Qusar MMAS, Hafez MA. Cross Cultural Adaptation & Psychometric Validation of Research Instruments: a Methodological Review. Journal of Behavioral Health (JBH); 2016; 5 (3): 129-136
43. Rahman SMA, Arafat SMY, Shahana P, Qusar MMAS. Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder in Perimenopausal Woman: A Case Report. International Journal of Women’s Health Care 2016; 1 (1): 1-3
44. Hossain R, Rahman W, Qusar MMAS, Khan ST, Arafat SMY. Bilateral nipple itching at the age of 4 years: A case of conversion Disorder. MJP Online Early;Vol 28, No 1 (2019)